Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I got to visit my family in SC this weekend for a friend's wedding. It's good to see family every now and then :) My nephews grow 2 feet and gain 50 new words into their vocabulary every time I see them! I will be glad to be only 2 hours away from them soon.
While in SC I was able to visit dad's church for Sunday School and Worship. I love when God speaks. Ted, the associate pastor, was teaching Sunday school on 2nd Corinthians and how God comforts and delivers his children. I can't remember exactly how he got onto the topic of Evangelism, but one thing he said really hit me. "Evangelism is not a Spiritual Gift, it's a command for the children of God." He then proceeded to tell us how much he hated spiritual gifts tests :) I was told frequently while growing up that Evangelism would be something I'm good at, but whether or not you're good at it, God has commanded each of us to do it. Also, while building relationships is a great way to share the Gospel and truth, intentional evangelism is also something that is required of us.
What a slap in the face. I like building relationships as a way of ministering. It's comfortable and I'm fairly decent at it. Intentionally sharing the Gospel is a lot harder. There is more room for rejection and disappointment in not seeing direct responses. Also, it leaves you more open for persecution. How bold you have to be for such things, and yet, those of us who don't feel so bold already possess what is required. We have the Holy Spirit, and because of that, we are completely equipped for all that lies ahead of us. Granted, I know that though I am equipped I have to trust that I am in a sense that gives me the boldness to act as though I do. Wow, awkward sentence, but I think you get the gist.
All in all God really spoke to me about the intentionality in my outreach. Sure I assist my awesome husband in leading Young Couples Bible Study, and I build relationships with the people around me, but how many people have I intentionally brought up the topic of Christ with? I work in a factory full of people who do not personally know the Lord. I have opportunities every day to share the word and yet I choose to share by example as opposed to verbally and intentionally sharing. This is something I am going to work on and pray hard for strength. I know that I am equipped, I just need to put it into action.

On another note, I got to catch up with one of my best friends ever today. I love the deep relationships that God has blessed me with. The hearts of the people God has placed in my life just blow me away. They are encouraging and passionate and love God with all that they are. Not to mention they make me laugh so hard I cry. What joy they bring :)

No comments:

Post a Comment